Skip to main content

Ma Thoughts: Shadow of Mordor



Shadow of Mordor… Everyone and their grandmother said this game was the shit of shits back in 2014. So me being a cheap-ass gamer who waits for most things to go down in price, I decided to wait and eventually picked it up in 2015. 

Pre-Hype Blues




I kept hearing about how amazing the nemesis system was and why this was the reason I needed to play this game. I kept hearing about how it had amazing combat, how it took the Assassin’s Creed and Batman Arkham series’ schtick and perfected the formula with unprecedented freedom. Oh boy!

So I load up the game, get into a little skirmish and yes the combat is a little Batman-y. That’s sweet because at the time I had played two of those games and knew how to seriously kick some ass in that framework.

Let thine doest this!

My first outing I see a group of orcs and I’m thinking, “Noice! mother fuckers are bout to get werked.’ So I run over, waving my sword in the air and screaming the void-words of the fallen fathers of Gondor and get fucking taken out, hard. Just so damn hard. Ok…Let’s do this again. I rinse and repeat my strategy, concentrate on my countering a little more and I get bodied once again. At that point I thought maybe it’s time to do these side quests; I’m obviously not strong enough. I do some side quests, I start to get my head around the upgrade tree and the games wider systems. But I also start to realise I fucking hate this game. 

Fifty Shades of Brown 

Everything is fucking shit-brown. I know it is supposed to be super grimdark, look brother I know Morgoth doesn’t like bright colours and flowers and shit, what decent necromage worth his salt does? But man, I felt the horrible boring-ass brown fucking oppression that everyone enslaved in middle earth did. Just browny grey everywhere textures everywhere! Also the famous Nemesis system just didn’t do it for me. So there are specific enemies in a hierarchical structure. You can mirk anyone of these dudes whenever you want. This will create a vacuum that is filled by the next mans. 

"I'm gonna get all up in them guts, bitch!"

If you get killed by one of these orc-bros they will level up and become harder to kill. They also will remember your ass and have some quippy shit to say when your paths cross again. I can see why people like the system: it helps build a relationship with your enemies, it’s also a system that can work independently from any story, a plus for all of you hardcore mechanics guys out there. The thing is, it’s a great system if you give a flying fuck about playing the game. Because I had no fun sneaking, arrowing dudes or the combat in general, I didn’t give a shit which orc killed me or I killed. If they came back dropping super-hot-fire lyrics about how they killed me, it wouldn’t register a single emotion in my cold dead soul. Good for you mate, you killed me, couldn’t give a shit.

Arrowing Dudes In The Face 

I am no badman when it comes to games, I have little to no patience for having to repeat the same shit endlessly (unless a game is Super Sayain 57 level badman tings) but I ain’t no bitch I can handle my business. But I just didn’t like anything in the game enough to keep going, to really learn the combat, to do the stealth stuff. I fucking hated how health worked, I hated the world, the characters, the missions, I just really had nothing for this game.

Where are the god damned herbs!

 I can understand why people like it but for me it was just another fucking open world game, with loads of dumb side bullshit I have no fucking interest in doing. The nemesis system meant absolutely nothing for me. I know there was a framework in which I was supposed to kill dudes, but it made no difference, I was still just killing dudes, war-chief, or normal orc, them being in the system made no difference as to whether I gave a shit or not. 

The End of All Things 

By all means this is not a bad game. It is a very good mechanically sound game. However, I do think some of the hype surrounding it seems a little misplaced. It does so some new thins, which is very commendable and for those who have the time I am sure it will reward you. I just did not realise how much the game was going to ask of me, and It did not give me enough low level fun to keep coming back, just loads of systems, bullshit side missions and frustration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston Celtic Preview 2017/18

So the Celtics finally acquired the talents of Gordan StayHayward. Having led Utah to a decent playoff run he was just about ready to receive the giant Mormon key to the city. Utah was offering him one hell of max contract, a reported shit ton of dollars (give or take a fuck ton) to be a big fish in a very, very small pond. I'd follow Daryl to the ends of the earth. I guess he feels like he isn’t the small pond type. Gordon Hayward jumped ship and joined his old college coach, Brad Stevens, in Boston. Boston Rising Boston has been on the rise for some time now. Brad Stevens has created a scrappy team in New England and Danny Ainge has swindled a thousand draft picks and is just itching to drop them like Yu Gi Oh dropping Exodiar on a bitch, Bloaw! I summon draft picks.. IN DEFENSE MODE! Before the Celtics picked Jayson Tatum first in the draft, there were talks of them trying to lure the services of unsettled small forward, Paul George and the also unsettled

Funky Fresh NBA 2015/16 Preview Pt 1

As I'm about to write this here blog post I’ve got the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song “Suck My Kiss” playing on loop in my brain sack. Why, I hear no one ask? Well I’ll tell you! NBA 2K15 has stolen all of my free time. Yes I know, I’m late to the party but you know what, I’m also mad cheap and only paid £25 for that shit on preowned, so have a coke and a smile etc etc. So enough of the trademarked Flim-Flammery and on to the meat and or potatoes of this post; previewing the 2015-2016 NBA season! Now we can’t look into the future without having a brief look into the past and having a quick gander and what transpired last year and how it will impact the next! The Champ Is Here! First of all we crowned new NBA champions in the Golden State Warriors (GSW), who won their first title since the 70’s. They didn’t just win it, they walked it like a doawg. They also dispelled one of those oft quoted maxims about elite basketball teams not being “jump shooting” teams.  Most “jump s

Why I like this song (and why I hope you do too!)

Pete Rock and CL Smooth – They Reminisce Over You Hip Hop as an expression of black culture feels like a now forgotten notion in popular music. Like Blues, Jazz and Rock and Roll before it, the cultural and socio-economic factors that went into nurturing these art forms is sometimes forgotten when accepted by the mainstream. For me (and I assume a lot of people out there), Hip Hop grows out of a specific black working-class culture (New York to be specific). I Love the fact that we are allowed to culturally appropriate things we admire, the things that move us, but sadly in Hip Hop only the easiest to identify elements of what bought the music into existence is what is focused on. Well the whole point to the old-man rant above is that the eponymous release by New York’s own Pete Rock and CL Smooth exemplifies all that I believe Hip Hop is all about. The thing is, it’s not just in the bars it’s in the instrumentation; the horn trill main melody that repeats is sweetly