Skip to main content

Why I like this song (and why I hope you do too!)



Pete Rock and CL Smooth – They Reminisce Over You

Hip Hop as an expression of black culture feels like a now forgotten notion in popular music. Like Blues, Jazz and Rock and Roll before it, the cultural and socio-economic factors that went into nurturing these art forms is sometimes forgotten when accepted by the mainstream.

For me (and I assume a lot of people out there), Hip Hop grows out of a specific black working-class culture (New York to be specific). I Love the fact that we are allowed to culturally appropriate things we admire, the things that move us, but sadly in Hip Hop only the easiest to identify elements of what bought the music into existence is what is focused on.

Well the whole point to the old-man rant above is that the eponymous release by New York’s own Pete Rock and CL Smooth exemplifies all that I believe Hip Hop is all about. The thing is, it’s not just in the bars it’s in the instrumentation; the horn trill main melody that repeats is sweetly nihilistic, the horn stabs and the way it almost distorts from the dirty samples over it, all of this makes me think of the streets of New York. 



The horns remind you of the rough and tumble of New York, the distortion is almost like standing on a loud street corner, you feel the restlessness of the struggle black New Yorker's (and black american's in general).

The horn is what really prompted this post. The horn samples are important because they link the black influenced music of the past, Jazz, and bring it forward to what was the new main form of popular black musical expression.

From the message in the lyrics to the beat, this song says way more about the environment it came from in the instrumentation alone, in a way that does what music is supposed to do and transports you to another world. That is why I like the song, and I hope you do too!


If you disagree with me, think I’m God’s gift to man, made whole! Make sure you drop a comment. I will thank you for it, then I will find you… And I will kill you… I kid 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funky Fresh NBA 2015/16 Preview Pt 1

As I'm about to write this here blog post I’ve got the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song “Suck My Kiss” playing on loop in my brain sack. Why, I hear no one ask? Well I’ll tell you! NBA 2K15 has stolen all of my free time. Yes I know, I’m late to the party but you know what, I’m also mad cheap and only paid £25 for that shit on preowned, so have a coke and a smile etc etc. So enough of the trademarked Flim-Flammery and on to the meat and or potatoes of this post; previewing the 2015-2016 NBA season! Now we can’t look into the future without having a brief look into the past and having a quick gander and what transpired last year and how it will impact the next! The Champ Is Here! First of all we crowned new NBA champions in the Golden State Warriors (GSW), who won their first title since the 70’s. They didn’t just win it, they walked it like a doawg. They also dispelled one of those oft quoted maxims about elite basketball teams not being “jump shooting” teams.  Most “jump s

Ma Thoughts: Lazer Team

Lazer Team is the first feature film from digital production company, of Red Vs Blue fame, Rooster Teeth. Crowd funded via Indiegogo, Lazer Team was a hotly anticipated (well in some circles) sci-fi comedy. The question remains, can the guys known for producing hilarious short form content translate their talents to feature length? Check the review to find out! Lazer Team is the story of four horrendously below-average guys, an alien super-weapon and a square-jawed hero. An ancient alien race bequeath a suit of power armour to earth in order to help protect us from an intergalactic threat. In order to maximise our chances of survival, the US military (naturally) raise a square-jawed champion, whose destiny is to wear the armour, chew bubblegum and ultimately kick some serious alien anus. However, things go terribly awry when four schlubs accidentally fire a big-ass firework at the power armour’s delivery craft. The four guys each don a piece of the armour and