Skip to main content

Who in the Shell? Taking a look at Heroic Identification - By James Nicolaou

Greetings Ladiez and Germtelmen! 'Tis I, the wonderful and amazing Titan Greybeard!



 *fanfare with full band and brass section*

I am coming to you with another article in regards to the topic of race and modern media! (Yaaay relevance!) This will be a spiritual successor to an article I wrote on my blog (https://thoughtspillsite.wordpress.com/2016/03/21/why-daredevil-season-two-is-important-and-also-one-of-the-best-shows-of-all-time/ pluggity pluggity plug plug!) which talks about why racial representation in modern media is important.

Why are you writing another article on a similar topic I hear you ask?

WHY ARE YOU ASKING I DIDN'T ASK YOU!?

*Ahem*

I am writing this article because today the first press shot was released of Scarlett Johansson as the female lead in  the live action adaptation of the iconic Masamune Shirow manga and anime, Ghost in the Shell.

Now, I'm not going to go into what the show is about, 'cause you can Google that and check yourself, and that isn't really what I want to talk about. The reason why I am writing this article is because I find the question that this casting decision poses to immensely interesting.

What question is that you ask?

YOU BETTER STOP ASKING ME **** YOU M-

*Ahem*

The question this casting decision raises is this: Can a film studio appropriate any character?
The short answer unfortunately is: they can do whatever they want. Studios can appropriate any gosh-darn character they want, whenever they want and **** all over them. 'Cause at the end of the day: they own them.

Look at Superman.

Look at Optimus Prime.

I could sit here for the next three days listing to you character after character that has had a film version made of it that sucks big time and is nothing like the original character, but there was nothing anyone could do about it. The two available options are: either ignore the film (the sensible option) or do what I do and go in and see it anyway even though you know it's gonna make your soul sad because you're a massive idiot (the idiot option).



The reason why this situation with GiTS (lol best acronym) is slightly different is because in this instance, they aren't making the main character a giant blue shell-suited muggle (looking at you Supes), but instead they are completely changing the character's ethnicity.

To me, 'Heroic Identification' can be used to describe when a specific racial group creates a character that they feel they can relate to or embodies them and the way they live their lives in a culturally significant way. These heroes are usually the pinnacle of whatever society they have been appropriated by because they have chosen these characters to represent them. Be it the specific characters themselves or the stories and setting that they live in. This would include seminal works created by an ethnicity that is specific to their culture; in this instance, anime.

For this adaptation, Johansson is playing Major Motoko Kusanagi (I know right). The studio aren't even trying to hide the fact they are changing the character from Asian to white, if they are keeping the freakin' name the same. So why is this a big deal?

It's a big deal because now we have an entire ethnic group that is down a hero.

Anime has always been an interesting subject for me. I watch anime (lol weeb) and have done since I was about fifteen years old. I used to run home EVERY SINGLE DAY without fail to make sure I caught the latest episode of Dragonball Z. Then when I got older and explored more myself, I found a whole amazing genre just waiting to be absorbed into all four of my brains (I am an omni-mind. Duh). The appropriation of anime by western cultures has stretched as far back as the original animes themselves. Just by dubbing and cutting an anime, you could argue that it is no longer "representative" of the original culture, as you are clearly appropriating it for your own audiences. So for western-ethnicity fans of anime, changing Kusanagi's race from Japanese to American probably doesn't make a difference because, hey, you're getting a movie version of your favourite show!

But the thing is, it does make a difference.

Specifically to the people who identify with it or who are already under-represented in modern media.

Looking at a study on the percentages of ethnic representation by children's book publishers Lee and Low, in Hollywood during 2013 only 4.4% were Asian and a measly 74.1% was White! I mean, gosh now that I read that, it's no wonder they gotta make as many characters White as possible!

So imagine now you are finally getting a big-screen adaptation of a story and character that you feel represents you: and they change it. When was the last time you watched a Hollywood film that had an Asian female lead?

Without Googling.

I can think of Pacific Rim (and she was more of a supporting actress than a lead) ...and...

...

Maybe when Pacific Rim 2 comes out?

I know the counter argument for this too, (because I'm psycho psychic!), is: "but amazing Titan Greybeard, what about Chinese cinema and Japanese cinema etc. They already have massive industries where they make their own films!"

They do. You're right.
But what about the MASSIVE percentage of the population that is Asian that doesn't live in those countries? That live in the West and they are bombarded with movie after movie that have white leads? What the heck are they supposed to do?

Now, I'm not saying that all racial changes are impossible or ridiculous. I've mentioned before in my article on representation (https://thoughtspillsite.wordpress.com/2016/03/21/why-daredevil-season-two-is-important-and-also-one-of-the-best-shows-of-all-time/ plugzzzz) that there are plenty of instances where a character can change race and still be true to the ideals they represent.

Idris Elba being Roland Deschain in the Dark Tower is amazing casting. The character's story arc isn't reliant on race (though there are definitely racial overtones in the book and it will be interesting to see how they address them in the film) and thus it can be changed. There was a call for the new Iron Fist to be cast an Asian dude which I think would have made perfect sense, because as a fan of the series, I could see how in this day and age he could definitely work as an Asian character. And plus, you would be representing Asian people with another character that before was white.

This is why changing the main character's race in Ghost in the Shell is a big deal. You aren't just making a movie here: You are completely destroying an entire ethnicity's sense of self worth and potential to be represented. Certain character's races are intrinsic in their worth to the people they represent. One of my friends earlier today said to me: "Imagine if they made Shaft white".

(Just gonna let that marinade for a bit).

Exactly! How dumb would that be!?

So what I'm trying to say it, it's not that you can't change the ethnicities of certain characters.

But sometimes, studios just take a second to think about the people they might be screwing over if they do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston Celtic Preview 2017/18

So the Celtics finally acquired the talents of Gordan StayHayward. Having led Utah to a decent playoff run he was just about ready to receive the giant Mormon key to the city. Utah was offering him one hell of max contract, a reported shit ton of dollars (give or take a fuck ton) to be a big fish in a very, very small pond. I'd follow Daryl to the ends of the earth. I guess he feels like he isn’t the small pond type. Gordon Hayward jumped ship and joined his old college coach, Brad Stevens, in Boston. Boston Rising Boston has been on the rise for some time now. Brad Stevens has created a scrappy team in New England and Danny Ainge has swindled a thousand draft picks and is just itching to drop them like Yu Gi Oh dropping Exodiar on a bitch, Bloaw! I summon draft picks.. IN DEFENSE MODE! Before the Celtics picked Jayson Tatum first in the draft, there were talks of them trying to lure the services of unsettled small forward, Paul George and the also unsettled

Funky Fresh NBA 2015/16 Preview Pt 1

As I'm about to write this here blog post I’ve got the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song “Suck My Kiss” playing on loop in my brain sack. Why, I hear no one ask? Well I’ll tell you! NBA 2K15 has stolen all of my free time. Yes I know, I’m late to the party but you know what, I’m also mad cheap and only paid £25 for that shit on preowned, so have a coke and a smile etc etc. So enough of the trademarked Flim-Flammery and on to the meat and or potatoes of this post; previewing the 2015-2016 NBA season! Now we can’t look into the future without having a brief look into the past and having a quick gander and what transpired last year and how it will impact the next! The Champ Is Here! First of all we crowned new NBA champions in the Golden State Warriors (GSW), who won their first title since the 70’s. They didn’t just win it, they walked it like a doawg. They also dispelled one of those oft quoted maxims about elite basketball teams not being “jump shooting” teams.  Most “jump s

Why I like this song (and why I hope you do too!)

Pete Rock and CL Smooth – They Reminisce Over You Hip Hop as an expression of black culture feels like a now forgotten notion in popular music. Like Blues, Jazz and Rock and Roll before it, the cultural and socio-economic factors that went into nurturing these art forms is sometimes forgotten when accepted by the mainstream. For me (and I assume a lot of people out there), Hip Hop grows out of a specific black working-class culture (New York to be specific). I Love the fact that we are allowed to culturally appropriate things we admire, the things that move us, but sadly in Hip Hop only the easiest to identify elements of what bought the music into existence is what is focused on. Well the whole point to the old-man rant above is that the eponymous release by New York’s own Pete Rock and CL Smooth exemplifies all that I believe Hip Hop is all about. The thing is, it’s not just in the bars it’s in the instrumentation; the horn trill main melody that repeats is sweetly